Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Two Words of Advice

Two Words of Advice

I was 32, and I was invincible! I had my MFA. I had done 20 some professional plays, and I had been the Junior Mr. Goodwrench.  I’d sold groceries, Chevys, and Wesson oil in other commercials.   I had filmed several movies and even completed my first stint on a Soap. Nothing was going stop me!
Then, cancer tapped me on the shoulder.  Believe me, everything stops when that happens.  I ended up in the hospital for 5 months.  I lost all my hair, and I lost 50 pounds.  Couldn’t eat for 3 months, because I couldn’t stop vomiting.  I needed chemo, 5 surgeries, platelets, blood transfusions, scans, catheters, IVs, stitches, staples,  wash cloths, dixie cups, and all the machines that blinked and went ping! I benefited from nearly every medicine known to man, and eventually, I got better.
I think this experience gave me the right to dispense a little bit of advice. Mind you, very limited advice. In fact, I’ve only got two words for you. Here they are:

Health Insurance.

21 years ago I had it, and I’m still here.  I’ve lost a substantial amount of hearing, I can’t always feel my feet, and I have a body full of scars, but I’m still here.  It’s really hard for me to consider the alternative of not having it. So, once again, here’s my two cents:


Health Insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment