Friday, November 23, 2012




ALUMNI UPDATES
VCS Alum, David Grant Wright ‘79 Reflects on His Life and Career
page6image1880

. . . From Victor to Hollywood

David Grant Wright never did any acting when he attended VCS in the 1970s. Back then, he was more interested in sports. During his time at VCS he played baseball, soccer and was the captain of the swim team for a couple of years. It was not until he went to Michigan State University that he discovered his love of acting. “Toward the end of my junior year I went out for a play. I had taken a couple of acting classes, and it sounded like fun at the time. I was cast as Lysander in William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. After that, I never looked back. I knew what I wanted to do.” 

Wright, who resides in Burbank, California, says he really enjoys his profession because it is always something new and different. “It’s not always easy as I don’t really know where the next pay check is coming from, but I’ve done it for a long time, now, and it has become a big part on my identity,” he said.

As for his most memorable acting experience, Wright says several come to mind.
”Very early on, in my late 20’s, I got cast in a movie called Writer’s Block. It filmed down in San Diego, and my character was a detective. At one point we were shooting a scene on the wharf of San Diego Bay. It was midnight and they had watered down the deck like they often do on night shoots, so, everything shimmered. I got to drive the cop car down the wharf, (lights flashing, and siren going) slam on the brakes, jump out of the car, pull my revolver, and run into the warehouse after the bad guy. I remember thinking, ‘This is cool!’ It didn’t look too bad in the film, either. 

In my memories, Victor, now, seems like a magical place. I was only there from 8th grade through my senior year, but it will always be home. I carry the people I knew, and the lessons I learned there with me every day.

The second was much more recent. I got cast in an episode of ‘House of Lies.’ My character was having lunch with Don Cheadle’s character in this fancy restaurant in downtown LA. Since it takes several hours to film anything, I got to just sit and have lunch with Oscar
nominated Don Cheadle for about six hours. He’s a very funny guy!

Wright says other more memorable acting experiences include doing a movie with Mike
Farrell, BJ Honeycutt in the old MASH series and , a lesser known actress, Natalie Martinez, with whom he did Saints and Sinners (30 some episodes) and Sons of Tucson. Wright says the Criminal Minds cast were all terrific, too. “I must say, I have worked with very few difficult people. The entire industry is full of nice folks,” Wright said.

When asked how VCS helped him secure such a high profile career, Wright simply said he was prepared. “When I went to Michigan State, I was fully prepared. Without my five years in Victor Schools, I would never do what I do today. I think I was the beneficiary of an absolute, first class, education.” Wright says his experiences outside of the classroom were equally important to his success. “I want to give credit to my extracurricular activities, as well. Victor sports and clubs are a big part of me. So, to all my teachers and coaches, thank you!”

While Wright has had the privilege of playing many interesting roles through the years, one role he was not prepared for was that of cancer patient, in real life.
Continued on next page
page6image38448 page6image38608
vcs fall 2012 e-alumni newsletter • 6
page7image440
ALUMNI UPDATES
page7image1088
David Grant Wright


Today, this 19 year cancer survivor can only say he is grateful. “I can’t begin to codify how my cancer experience changed me. I tell people that it was the worst and the best thing that ever happened to me. Medical folks are very dear to me. It’s a part of life that you just don’t think you will ever go through, but if you do, there are some amazing people to take care of you. I wrote my one man show, With Flying Colors, that chronicles my cancer time and I have performed it all across the country. That has brought me a whole unique, wonderful set of experiences, too.”

From VCS student to actor and cancer survivor, David Grant Wright has found success on many levels, both personally and professionally, but when it comes right down to the art of acting, Wright says you must be good at one thing; you really need to be able to read. “I would suggest that you read everything that you can get your hands on. I think that how well you develop your reading skills will be directly proportional to how well you succeed as an actor. Back in Victor, I think I might have had the most used library card in town. I loved that little library on Maple Avenue just down the street from my house,” Wright said.

When he was really young, Wright said his mother used to tell him, “Go to your room, and don’t come out till you know how to act!” “That was pretty good advice for an actor,” Wright said.




No comments:

Post a Comment